Phone County Code "+" vs. "00" When I enter ...

Phone County Code โ€œ+โ€ vs. โ€œ00โ€

When I enter a phone number with the country code, for example 0049123456789, Appsheet will save it in Google Sheet like '0049123456789 with this little apostrophe. But when I enter it with โ€œ+โ€, I get problems. +49123456789 will not add an apostroph and will delete the โ€œ+โ€ in Google Sheet +49 123 456789 will cause an ERROR in Google Sheet, because Google thinks this is a formula.

Should I avoid the โ€œ+โ€ in phone numbers?

0 9 1,316
9 REPLIES 9

If the column type in the app is text and in the gSheet itโ€™s โ€œPlain Textโ€, it should work correctly if there is no space in the number.

You could check that the user wonโ€™t add any spaces with the Valid_If. Butโ€ฆ you need to remove either the โ€œ+โ€ or the " ".

If your Appsheet column type is text and you type a number into the field, Appsheet needs to add the โ€™ or Google Sheets can misinterpret it as a number instead of text.

It wonโ€™t do that if your column is โ€œPlain Textโ€.

@Aleksi_Alkio Hmmmโ€ฆ Iโ€™ve noticed that when Appsheet adds rows to my Google Sheets, sometimes the formatting doesnโ€™t copy correctly. It may be something Iโ€™m doing wrong/different.

I am facing this behavior, I am utilizing the โ€œPhoneโ€ field type in Appsheet and plain text in GSheet

I am not so clear on the conclusion on this thread. If you set an Appsheet column type as โ€œphoneโ€, and the google sheet column format as โ€œplain textโ€, then you wonโ€™t get gSheet errors and appsheet will still dial the number correctly? Can someone confirm if this is correct?

I am chasing this problem down right now and am not clear if Inam supposed to use a phone column type or text column type in Appsheet to prevent the gSheet errors but still allow Appsheet click to dialโ€ฆ

What my experience is;
Provided all the phone numbers are local, then there is no problem with using the Phone type column. However, if you have international numbers included, then I generally use a text field and create an inline action binded to that column with External: start a phone call action. In gSheet I always use a Plain Text format.

Thanks @LeventK. Since i am dealing with international dialing (and โ€œ+โ€), looks like I may have to explore the Text col type and Action approach you use.

I guess I could add a feature request for Phone col types to handle international dialing better? This workaround is fine, but would think Appsheet should handle the use case automatically for the user?

Youโ€™re welcome @Mike. Depending on the app requirements, I also take additional measures like verifying the email address with MXValidator API and the phone number with Twilio API.

Top Labels in this Space