Relational DBs - ID Field

Hello,

I am using a MySQL database for my apps. I’ve done some reading and am confused about the issues with the auto incremented PK field.

From what I have read so far (older messages and articles), AppSheets is unable to insert a record without itself generating the new key. I find it quite boggling that a platform designed to work with data cannot actually work with the standard method of inserting records to a database. Is this still the case? Please tell me this has been addressed.

I saw a forum post from Oct 2018:

I suppose I can adapt to this method, but I am confused on what the implications are.

• Will the new UNIQUEID key referenced above ever be used for anything other than allowing AppSheets to be “happy” with a new record?

• Would I still be able to reference all of my data using the actual PKs?

• Is there another solution that doesn’t use the random number generator? (Only other solution I found used it)

• Is there any downside to AppSheets not understanding that the REAL PK is one marked as not a key and not required?

Solved Solved
0 27 2,879
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @Steve, @TyAlevizos and @Harry for your thoughts. I appreciate the clarity you have provided.

I’ve decided to make my PKs varchar(36) to conform with qualified UUIDs that might be generated from another app accessing the data.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
Top Labels in this Space