Several issues as a newcomer to Appsheet Automation

I’m fairly new to Appsheet (just a few months use) and while I was initially impressed with what could be achieved in a short amount of time, I now keep running into roadblocks caused by the lack of very basic functionality, particularly in Appsheet Automation.

I can understand Appsheet wanting to keep things as low-code/no-code as possible, but this shouldn’t be at the expense of basic functions such as iteration. A brief, but non-exhaustive, list of issues I have yet to find a suitable method for are:

1. No simple equivalents to “for” or “while” loops for performing the same action on multiple rows/fields.

2. No basic time delay in Processes. There is a Wait For, but it appears to only trigger on a Data Change or Schedule, not just a simple XX seconds wait.

3. No ability to create temporary variables within the process scope, e.g. generate a string for a filename, or define an array of folders to be created. As a workaround, I create columns for these variables in the referenced table, but this is clunky and wasteful as they do not need to be stored.

4. Results output by a sub-process that has been called appear to only be available in the calling process. How do you pass this information to sub-processes/tasks?

5. Working with multiple data tables in a process. I can’t quite understand why Processes are intrinsically linked to a particular data table. It seems to be either unnecessarily limiting or I’m simply not understanding the way Appsheet Automation is supposed to work. Since I can’t find a way to easily pass data between processes (down to the Task level), this makes it difficult to work with multiple data sources at once to generate new data.

6. A lot of basic Bots just consist of an Event and a Task, yet it is still necessary to create a Process as a container. Is there way to call a single Task directly from an Event to save time and make things cleaner?

7. No support for GET requests or parsing/storing JSON responses with webhooks. A common process for us is to GET an access token from an API and then use that as authentication for subsequent requests. As a workaround, we currently use Power Automate to grab access tokens and send them to a table in Appsheet via the Appsheet API. We also use Power Automate to send back metadata on files that are created in SharePoint, since Appsheet cannot read it from the response to the POST requests.

8. Can’t find a way to send binary data via webhooks.

Are there any suggestions for the above points?

Thanks,
Michael

5 11 1,086
11 REPLIES 11
Top Labels in this Space