Succesession Planning

I work for a small, but growing, business that needs to improve the way it manages jobs and people. I have two options.

Option 1 is to pay for an off-the-shelf solution. The best suited one I have found will do a lot more than I can do in Appsheet, but it is not as customizable and I am not sure that our staff would have the ability to learn to drive it. The monthly cost is about double what Appsheet costs but all the development has been done and all bug fixes and future enhancements would be done by the supplier.

Option 2 is to develop a custom solution with Appsheet. I have already done some work with Appsheet and, although some refinement is required, I am now satisfied that we can accomplish what we NEED, with Appsheet. However the Appsheet solution wonโ€™t be as elegant, will need progressively more development and ultimately more maintenance.

At this stage I am tending slightly in favour of Appsheet but I have one concern. Although I am not a programmer, I have the ability to develop, maintain and enhance the App as needed. However this is only a small business and I am the only one here with the ability, or interest, in managing this solution. If I get hit by a bus or decide to retire tomorrow, the business is stuck with a system and no driver. If I opt for the off-the-shelf solution and get hit by a bus, they would simply need to get my replacement trained by the off-the-shelf provider

The only solution I could think of would be to pay someone to review my code from time to time and be available to train someone, and make future enhancements, if I get hit by a bus, or decide to retire tomorrow. I am seeking comment on how other businesses are dealing with this issue.

1 7 407
7 REPLIES 7
Top Labels in this Space