Sync when data on Google Sheet changes

Mobi

Hi All,

I’m new to AppSheet. I’ve used Google Sheets, Google Forms & Google Apps Script before.
My main question is if I can force a table to update if remote external changes have happened to a Google sheet (or use another data storage source that can force a table update).

I wanted to make an app for staff to use to keep track info & numbers of customers in the store. Government regulations for COVID-19 restrictions means we have to record contact details of all customer that dine-in at our store (hospitality).

I made a Google Form, it updates the Google Sheet just fine. It’s a customer Check-In form where the customer checks-in to the store & records all their contact details (for the government covid tracing requirements).
I made an app in AppSheet & got most of what I needed for in store staff and it works very well.
It displays current customer Check-in’s, allow for staff to edit or Check-Out customer, and a few other niceties.

My only real problem is that if a customer checks-in on the Google Form, the sheet updates, but the staffs view on the table won’t show them the check-in. Either they have to wait for the next background update, or they’d have to manually refresh/update every time they wanted to check customer numbers, etc. Unfortunately relying on staff to remember to update every time they check the data/totals is too risky for us from a gov. regulation compliance standpoint.

Is there anyway to make a table update when external changes (not from AppSheet) have occurred on a Google Sheet?

I’ve read many support pages, blogs, etc. It looks to me like it’s not possible, but I’m going to ask the question anyway.

Thanks,
Mathew

1 12 4,471
12 REPLIES 12
Top Labels in this Space