Template google docs - columns width issue

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi there

I’m struggling with changes in columns width, like that:

because I use nested Start/Select/If and so on, I use a Docs template with various tables.
Here is what my template looks like:

[…]

Despite setting specific columns widths, I cannot make it stick to settings.
It’s like my settings are ignored, and the widths are self-determined, depending on having value in the cell, and other things I don’t understand.

I know this is a known difficulty, but I didn’t find a way to fix that.
I looked there:

But because of my structure, I guess each row in the PDF is interpreted as an html independent table.

Does someone have a clue ?

Many thanks in advance for your help !

Solved Solved
0 16 7,467
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. adjusting column widths can get temperamental. But a couple of insights may help.

1. In the Google tables, explicitly set the columns widths for all columns except 1. Usually this would be a column that has lengthy entries. By setting them this way, the single column will take up “left-over” space of the table. Once you have the widths set - DO NOT TOUCH the visual column sliders. Always adjust the columns through the Table properties.

I see you have a Header row, body section of rows and then a Summary row. You would need to set the column widths of each of these separate tables using the Table Properties so they are of EXACTLY the same width - leaving the same single column Not set to take up remaining table space

1. For the body rows, each occurrence of a set rows associated with the START/END blocks constitutes a new table and may be subjected to differing column widths if 1) above is not followed. Usually because there is more than one column WITHOUT a width set.

In your case, I see you have a START/END block OUTSIDE of the row template for the body rows and then another START/END block inside of the template row table. Sets of rows associated with each occurence of the OUTSIDE START/END would actually each be in their own table and depending on column width settings and the data, columns could end up with different widths causing the mis-alignment of rows.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Top Labels in this Space