Update field in table when record is added to child table

I need to update a Due Date field on a table Leak when a record is added to the child table Repair. I tried to use the Related Repair Count field (count([Related Repairs]) > 0, but it seems like the Leak table is not updated when the new Repair record is added. I canโ€™t see how to run a workflow based on additions to the Repair table to trigger the update to the Leak table.

I am new and just learning Appsheet, so I tried to simplify things by recreating the example in this article: https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/1363923-changing-data-from-a-workflow-rule-or-scheduled-report, but it seems like step 3 does not work. I created the actions in steps 1 and 2. But when I create the workflow using Target data = Projects, only the Actions associated with Projects are available. The actions created in steps 1 and 2 are associated with Employees. Can somebody please help me see what I am missing here? Thanks!

Solved Solved
0 7 1,368
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Using virtual column to trigger action is not recommended from my prospective. I understand you have virtual column to count the number of child table being associated to parent row.

I do suggest to consider the different approach, i.e. using action.

Create action to update the value in parent table - due date. Action category is set the values of some column in this row.

Then

On the child table, create new action Execute an action on the set of the rows. Referenc table, select the parent.
Reference row, put select expression like this

SELECT(ParentTableName[ParentTableKeyColumn],[_THISROW].[FIeldSetRefToParent]=[ParentTableKeyColumn])

Reference action ; action you created in the parent table.

Then one more step. Create workflow. Select Child table to append this workflow. And select ADDS ONLY

DO THIS PANE, select DATA and pick up action name in child table.

Try.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Top Labels in this Space