User Tables and Custom Roles for Workflow Application

I have come across some great discussions regarding the use of user tables such as this:

At the same time I have come across discussions that mention the use of slices to narrow down data is a โ€˜badโ€™ idea because someone that is savvy can still get access to the whole data set.

My use case is an application that takes a batch of documents, they are created at the โ€˜Clericalโ€™ role level, then they are passed to an โ€˜Assignmentโ€™ role level, then โ€˜Technicianโ€™ role, and finally โ€˜Finalizationโ€™ role where the batch is assigned a โ€˜Completeโ€™ status.

I am still early enough in design that things can be changed around. However I was planning a column for Status which would set at which role level the batch is at the moment until โ€˜Completionโ€™ as well as who it is assigned to in each of the processes.

Ultimately there will be a view that anyone can โ€˜readโ€™ all rows for the batch table, then a view of your current assigned batches depending on role, status, and your email. I had planned on using slices and allowing certain actions within the slices like โ€˜add, update, delete, readโ€™ to specific roles and status items along with specific user actions and workflows.

I was hoping someone might have example applications they could point me towards that are similar in nature to what I am trying to accomplish?
Also some clarification when to apply security filters to the table itself vs using slices to filter data and to allow โ€˜crudโ€™ actions to slices/full table would be helpful?

0 4 410
4 REPLIES 4
Top Labels in this Space