What is the best ways with us? For Detail view with quick editable and validation

I m not perfectly sure if this is correct or not, but the detail view with quick edit got some change to behaive?

As far as I remember correctly, we could change A column value through the quick edit mode on detail view, even if we have another view which has value, violating the validation rule for that particualr column.

Currently, I noticed the change is not going to be saved on B column which is getting through own validation rule, while other column has alert in terms of breaching validation rule for data change.

I think there is a risk that the app user should have believed that they changed the value of certain fileds through the detail view with quick edit mode, but actually there will be a case where the change is not being saved as there is alert for the validation for other column on the same row.

Particularly on this detail view with quick edit mode case, I think we should have some sort of native mechanism to protect this story. If there is ONE alert for the data validation, we should through ALERT to the user that any change you are making now to this row is not going to be saved?
Or any other fields which is made to be quickly editable, those fields becomes NOT editable quickly unless they rectify the problems, i.e. to remove the alert for the validation rule is rectified.

I think the second option seems to be natural and workable, as far as there is not technical difficulties with Appsheet dev team.

I dont get any voices from my app users, but it could happen they start to claim โ€œOh, my data change through the view (detail view with quickly editable) is not actually saved, what is happening!โ€ Actually the data entry for certain columns is not passing the validation rule, but it could be difficult to let them make sure that they need to be entrying all the proper values for ALL the editable fields.

For the data fields being made to be quicly editable through the detail view, I think Appsheet should throw additional alert , rather than usual โ€œThe data is invalidโ€ alert. yes, we can customize those alert message though.

Probably most ideal solution is to throw the alert like โ€œThis data is invalid. You are now not able to edit other column unless you rectify this problem on this columnโ€ and then automatically make other quickly editable fields NOT editiable.
Once they recifyt the problen, then once again those fields become editable again.

@TDhers

1 3 248
  • UX
3 REPLIES 3
Top Labels in this Space