"Add Many" records in a one-many relationship

A need an App that has similar functionality as a customer ordering 10 items from a menu in a restaurant. The list of foods isn’t edited. But the waiter creates a new “order” and adds 10 refereces to foods from the “Menu” table. This order would be stored in a linking table which adds 10 records having the same order reference but having 10 different food references.

I want to be able to open a screen, tick 10 items, and then have them all added with [_THIS] order number. I do NOT want to have to “Add” items individually because my actual application has lists of maybe 100 items.

My example app makes one-many links between “Serial Numbers” and “Collections” using a table of references called a “Links” table.

The App is functional here

The “Links” table only has two columns, a ref to “Serial Numbers” and a ref to “Collections”.

When viewing a collection, the related “Serial Numbers” are correctly listed at the bottom with the actions “View(4)” and (New) are there as normal.

What I want is an additional button “Add Many” which (for _THIS “Collection”) adds as many “Serial Numbers” as the user selects at once. Obviously, this will need to add a new row to the “Links” table for every “Serial Number” that the user wants to add into this collection.

The problem is that built-in “Add” functionality adds a single record to the “Links” table and opens it for editing. Adding 50 serial numbers into a collection is not practical like this. I want to have a form that allows the user to select any number of “Serial Numbers” from an Enum_list and then add this many records into the “Links Table”

Can anyone suggest ways of doing this?

0 25 3,101
25 REPLIES 25
Top Labels in this Space