Sharing only specific folders within a shared drive, but all users can still see the top level drive

This may not be possible, as I have yet to see another organization be able to do it.

I'm working with a non-profit using Workspace for Non-Profits, and our current method of storing/sharing files is just terrible.  I'm working getting shared drives set up so the organization owns the files, and even as people leave and come into the organization, there is no loss of work.  We plan multiple events a year, and so here's what I'm hoping to have happen.

The top-level shared drive will be the event name, which I'll call "event" for now.  Within that shared drive, there will be multiple folders such as "finance", "volunteers", "sales", etc.  That part is still being worked out.

What I'm hoping to happen is this.  A user logs into drive.google.com, and clicks on shared drives.  They see the "event" drive.  When they click in that drive, the only have access to the individual folders within the drive they have been given access too.  So if someone on the sales team comes in, they will not see the finance folder as they have no access to that one.  Is it possible to do this?

Solved Solved
1 2 77
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, itโ€™s not possible. Shared Drives use whatโ€™s commonly referred to as a โ€œwaterfallโ€ permissions model. While many of the specific details are different, Googleโ€™s competitor Box has a really good explanation of the concept in the video over at https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043697254-Understanding-Folder-Permissions

Hope that helps,

Ian

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

No, itโ€™s not possible. Shared Drives use whatโ€™s commonly referred to as a โ€œwaterfallโ€ permissions model. While many of the specific details are different, Googleโ€™s competitor Box has a really good explanation of the concept in the video over at https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043697254-Understanding-Folder-Permissions

Hope that helps,

Ian

Blargh!  I was worried about that, but thank you.