Current Detail View Version

Bahbus

So, I was playing around with detail view, when what I assume is its Material update snapped into place. However, this version doesn’t handle wide screens very well at all, and seems to be capped at a width of 500px regardless of screen size.

class SlideshowPage__main gets overall screen width, subtracts 500, then divides by 2 and sets that as the padding left and padding right. A max of 500px on desktop is huge waste of space.

So two suggestions for the Devs, a short term fix and a long term fix:
Short term - The padding on the Detail View should be percentage or some other relational type. 20% padding looked good to me, personally. This would then allow a quick update to the inline card types to act (and look) like their standalone versions if screen size is greater than X value (not sure when it should switch). Or if screen size is below a threshold (i.e. phone screen) the padding can go away.
Downside of this implementation would be a screen size of ridiculous width would render weird, but that problem can be easily mitigated other ways.

Long term - Wide screen monitors are pretty commonplace nowadays. So I suggest a redesign of what a “wide screen” detail view is. My thoughts for this are similar in concept to the Onboarding view currently. On phone, everything is stacked vertically. On tablet, its a horizontal and vertical stack combo.

Either way 500px is not an appropriate absolute max width.

Solved Solved
9 18 983
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

morgan

Thanks @Bahbus! These are great suggestions - in fact, your proposed long term solution is something we’ve discussed this past year and is definitely on our radar. We hope to have some cool new large screen experiences sometime soon. I agree that capping the width is not ideal for larger displays – it’s currently a compromise we’re taking to mitigate a bunch of issues that arise when the detail becomes very wide. So we’re planning to create a deeper, more thorough solution in the future that is closer to your long-term solution.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Top Labels in this Space